- This event has passed.
POSTPONED “Improv” ing Science Communication Workshop
August 15, 2017 @ 08:30 - 15:00$40.00 – $60.00
DUE TO SCHEDULING ISSUES THIS EVENT WILL BE POSTPONED UNTIL SEPT. MORE INFO TO FOLLOW.
We are all scientists but communicating good science and its outcomes is traditionally not something we are good at. It is a vital skill needed for community support and future funding outcomes.
This workshop presented by professional science communicators is for anyone doing science in the region who would like to be able to better communicate what they do and why they do it. In addition to standard science communication skills you will also learn improvisational comedy skills which new research shows helps scientists think and communicate more personally in a relatable way and also to bring their own passion to the moment so that they’re coming from a place of excitement in their own work.
- Communicating Science – Pin-pointing and targeting the key messages of your activities and building a style to deliver them.
- Working with the Media – Building good news stories and press releases. Working 1 on 1 with the media.
- Social Media – Introduction to social media tools and styles. Targeting audiences to expand your network and spread news of your activities.
- Event Management – Tools and hints for running a successful science event and evaluating/communicating outcomes.
- Science of Improvisation – Communicating science messages with humour. Confidence, presence and style in delivering science messages.
Limit of 5 people from one organisation unless spaces become available.
Not a Scinapse member? Find out about Mid West Science Communication and join online.
Includes lunch and morning/afternoon tea.
This event will be followed up by free evening Science Themed Improv Comedy Jam where participants can put those new skills to use and/or have some fun.
View the Workshop Program and read about our Science Communicator Sarah Lau