Geraldton welcomes you and we all hope you enjoy your stay during the festival. Here’s some inspiration to help you get to know our city a little better so you can make the most of your visit.
Do as the locals do and get connected with community news, stories and events:
- Everything Geraldton is a hub for online news media and social networking. You can connect via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram too.
- The ABC Open Mid West page shares stories, photos and videos by local residents, including Chris Lewis who is our local ABC Open Producer. This stunning
video Chris put together featuring our beautiful beaches and lighthouse is especially recommended.
- Radio – tune into ABC Local Radio on AM 828, Spirit Radio on 98.1FM, WAfm on 96.5FM or Radio MAMA on 100.5FM
- Press – pick up a copy of The Geraldton Guardian or Midwest Times.
Alternatively, contact the Geraldton Visitor Centre (details at bottom) for other options.
If you need to do a bit of work while you’re here, we’ve got you covered:
- CityHive is your ideal fully serviced office, meeting and event space in the CBD, with casual coworking spaces vailable by the day and meeting spaces available by the hour or day.
- Free WiFi is available 24/7 at select locations throughout the CBD, generously provided by the City of Greater Geraldton (500MB daily limit per device).
Tempt your tastebuds, refuel your body, unwind and relax at one of our many dining or drinking houses. There’s something for just about everyone with Indian, Thai, Italian, seafood, modern Australian, pub grub, fine dining, cosy cafes and all sorts in between. Check out the following sites for listings and inspiration:
Geraldton Visitor Centre
While there’s a lot to see and do in Geraldton and surrounds, we think some of the following should be top of your list:
- Check out this curated a guide of interesting places around Geraldton especially for ‘Goodness’ visitors: Andrew’s guide to Geraldton on Posse This includes the best spots for science, energy, permaculture, street art, coffee and markets.
- Enjoy the beautiful Geraldton Foreshore and Marina – walking paths, free bbqs and picnic tables, playgrounds, and a scenic lookout over Seal Rocks give you the perfect excuse the stretch the legs and enjoy Geraldton’s winter sunshine at the same time.
- Western Australian Museum Geraldton will take you on a journey through local history, with tales of shipwrecks, mutiny, a fatal World War II naval encounter and there’s even a plane hanging from the ceiling. The special touring exhibition of Da Vinci Machines now showing is a must see (entry charge applies). Open 7 days 9:30-4:00.
- The National Memorial to the HMAS Sydney II is a striking hilltop tribute to the loss of the HMAS Sydney II and all 645 men aboard her after their Indian Ocean encounter with the German warship HSK Kormoran during World War II. Volunteer guides run a daily tour starting 10:30am.
- The Geraldton Regional Art Gallery usually has a range of exhibitions on displayed, including curated selections from the City’s permanent collection, high class touring shows and even a mini cinema showing local videos. Re-opening 29 August after significant renovations. Open Mon – Sat 10:00-4:00.
- The Platform Markets run each Sunday morning at the railway station on Chapman Road. Or check out the Geraldton Greenough Farmers Market at Maitland Park on Cathedral Ave each Saturday morning.
For more ideas and info, check out the Geraldton Visitor Centre website – particularly their What’s On page.
Banking: ATMs and/or branches for all the major banks can be found either in Marine Terrace, Chapman Road or at Centro Northgate. Our very own Bendigo Community Bank Geraldton has a branch and ATM in Forrest Street.
Fuel: with one city centre fuel station and many 24-hour stations along the highway, you’ll never be caught short. See details here.
Food & shopping: Seven-day supermarkets, weekends markets, butchers and local seafood are all on offer. See details here. General shopping hours are 9-5 Monday – Saturday, although some of the smaller shops do close at lunchtime on Saturdays. Make sure you check out the “West End” (in the vicinity of CityHive) where a range of emerging shops and cafes are helping to bring the street to life.
Medical: Seven-day pharmacies, out of hours GP services and a full accident and emergency department are at hand should you need medical assistance during your stay. See details here.
FURTHER INFO? ASK GERALDTON VISITOR CENTRE
The friendly staff at the Geraldton Visitor Centre can help you out seven days a week if you have any other queries. Call (08) 9956 6670 between 9 and 5, email email@example.com or you can check out the website 24/7 at www.geraldtonvisitorcentre.com.au.